Sunday, December 25, 2011

Psalm 116:1-2 NASB

I love the LORD, because He hears my voice and my supplications.  Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live.

Have you ever been ignored?  It hurts, doesn't it?  Though, thankfully, most of us have not suffered to the same degree, because we always have someone else to turn to, being completely ostracized or ignored is similar, emotionally, to the suffering endured by prisoner's of war placed in solitary confinement.  Stories coming out of the Vietnam POW experiences, reveal that a human being can endure a lot of things if they just know someone else is there, even if it's the tapping on the wall by a fellow prisoner in another cell.  The greatest harm done to a human being is to cut him or her off from human touch, or to treat them as if they aren't worth speaking to.  We do better with being demeaned than we do with being ignored.  The one at least acknowledges our presence.  The latter doesn't care.  This is why we can be in a crowd and still feel lonely.  It's the feeling that no one really knows me, nor do they care.  It has been observed that orphans with no human touch do not develop as well as those who are continually held and loved. Now we begin to understand the palmist when he says, "I love the LORD, because He hears my voice and my supplications".  Initially we might think this love is quite self-centered, but, in reality, it's essential to mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health. Human beings desperately need someone who hears their voice and gives heed to their needs.  Without this we shrivel up and die.  As God's children, we must be the listening ear to the world around us.  They need to see and feel us with our ear inclined to them, giving them full attention.  This is why we insisted that our children look people in the eye when spoken to.  People do not appreciate being ignored, and rightfully so.  We are all worth more than that.  Like the psalmist, this is what we love the most about God and, if we'll do the same, it's what people would love most about us.  There is no doubt about it, "Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live."  Who wouldn't?  This is something we can always know.  Yes!  I love the LORD, because He hears my voice and my supplications. 

No comments:

Post a Comment