Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Song of Solomon NASB


The Song of Solomon is not a book that is discussed much in church settings.  If we were to read it in a group gathering, it has portions that might make one blush.  But isn't it interesting that such a book, with expressions of deep sexual intimacy between a man and a woman, would be found, not only smack-dab in the middle of our Bible, but in the Bible at all?  Why would this be? Might I suggest that, though it certainly can, more than speaking to a type of intimacy we can have with Christ (as some point to), this is speaking quite plainly to an intimacy God planned for man and woman to have in the safe and satisfying experience of a husband and wife relationship. The Song of Solomon is God's song of delightful, pure love, as he intended it to be. Verse one of chapter one speaks of this as "The Song of Songs".  Love beats lust every time. No matter how much one tries to satisfy the flesh, without real love, it’s sick and sad.  It doesn't hold a candle to the joy, delight and thrill of one true, sacred love.  This is just like God, to bring into our lives the greatest delight of life—the pure love of one man for one woman, and one woman for one man.  Consider the language of this love between a bride and groom:  “We will rejoice in you and be glad; we will extol your love more than wine” (1:4b).  “He has brought me to his banquet hall, and his banner over me is love… Let his left hand be under my head and his right hand embrace me” (2:4, 6).  In the secret place…let me see your form, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet and your form is lovely… My beloved is mine, and I am his” (2:14, 16).  “You have made my heart beat faster with a single glance of your eyes… How beautiful is your love…my bride” (4:9, 10).  “I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine” (6:3).  “How beautiful and how delightful you are, my love, with all your charms!  …I am my beloved’s and his desire is for me” (7:6, 10).  “Put me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm.  For love is as strong as death, jealousy is as severe as Sheol; its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the LORD.  Many waters cannot quench love, nor will rivers overflow it; if a man were to give all the riches of his house for love, it would be utterly despised” (8:6-7). We all know it ought to be this way!  Oh!  That we would know it can be this way!  In a world gone amuck with sexual promiscuity and perversion, the Christian couple is a striking testimony of a better promise!  Christian husband and wife, this kind of language, this kind of song, should arouse in us all of the love firmly expressed in our commitment to one another from the beginning, pouring out into all of the love tenderly expressed in our intimacy with one another in the present.  Renew the delight!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Friends, I have been a long time in posting anything new. But I'm back. One of my goals in retirement is to follow through with the rest of the great promises of God to His people, so be looking for them in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete