Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Psalm 119:105-106 NASB

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.  I have sworn and I will confirm it, that I will keep Your righteous ordinances." 

As I travel to various places, one thing I try not to forget is a flashlight.  I've gotten caught in situations where there was no power for light and, in some of these places, the utter darkness in a house or on a path, can be overwhelming, smothering and frightening.  It actually doesn't have to be a very big flashlight.  In the darkness, light is alive no matter the size.  Sometimes, as you walk down a dark and lonesome path of life's difficulties, that want to overwhelm, smother and frighten, one little promise from God's word can be the light you need to take another step forward.  As with the comfort of a small flashlight in my pocket, I am thankful for the comfort of the small promises of God's word in my soul.  "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."  These promises aren't to be treated like a good luck charm, such a rabbit's foot in the pocket.  If that's what they become to us, we are no different than the pagan lost in his own superstitions, believing that everything has to do with fortune, and that , if we play our cards right, we have a better chance with life's twists and turns.  God's promises have nothing to do with fortune.  They have everything to do with favor.  The man or woman walking with God with all their heart is like a little child who depends and delights in his parents joyful and present care.  This child responds to his parents in loving obedience, which keeps the child close and covered.  This parent doesn't have to scream at the child to keep him from wandering onto the street.  All the parent has to do is speak to the child, and the child quickly and quietly responds, thus protecting him from the dangers of the street.  It's in this sense that the Psalmist says, "I have sworn and I will confirm it, that I will keep Your righteous ordinances."  This wasn't something forced on him.  This, he knew, was the safety of God's favor toward him and he responds to it.  There is nothing like the favor of God on your life.  This is a lamp to your feet and a light to your path.  Walk in it with all your heart.  It will lead you home safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment