Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Psalm 37:23-25 NASB

The steps of a man are established by the LORD; and He delights in his way.  When he falls, he shall not be hurled headlong; because the LORD is the One who holds his hand.  I have been young, and now I am old; yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, or his descendants begging bread.

Either we believe it or we don't, but what we believe will affect the way we look at life, and especially what we're looking for.  Either we believe "The steps of a man are established by the LORD; and He delights in his way", or we believe we establish our own way and He gives no care to what happens to us. If we believe the first, we will be continually reaching upward to an extended hand.  If we don't, we're on our own.  Now, there are some who think they are in control of their own destiny and make a pretty good go at it, or so it seems.  But, sadly, the hope for happiness has left a lot of bodies along the way, ravaged by financial pressures, broken marriages, troubled families, lost income, miserable jobs, insatiable and harmful habits, torn relationships, and many other things. And whether any of these things have ever touched us or not (and I pray they haven't), all of humanity has to reckon with certain other setbacks in life, be it emotional, physical or economic, and sometimes intertwined with each other.  The problem with life is things happen and, if we manage to survive most things, finally we will not survive getting old.  It will happen and it will bring this earthly life to an end.  The fact is, most of us are pretty beat up by the time we get there. Depressing, huh?  That's why I have no trouble admitting to anyone that, like a toddler held by the hand of his father, my hand is always reaching up. This affects the whole way I look at life. You see, I believe that "When I fall (when I stumble over the setbacks of life), I will not be hurled headlong; because the LORD is the One who holds my hand."  And when old age overtakes me, I believe I will be able to say with the Psalmist, "I have been young, and now I am old; yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, or his descendants begging bread."  He has a firm grip!   He'll take your hand as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment