Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Psalm 23 NASB

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.  He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows.  Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Sadly, we have tended to relegate this Psalm to funeral readings, but it's more present and alive than that!  It's to be known and enjoyed all along the way!  And God knows what our soul needs all along the way, whether that be the nourishment of green pastures, the restiveness of quiet waters, the strength of rod and staff, or the protection of healing oil.  Whatever and whenever, He wants to restore our soul, guide us in paths of righteousness, and still our fears.  As we respond to God's profound care, we are often overwhelmed by such goodness and lovingkindness and we declare with the Psalmist:  "The LORD is my shepherd!  My cup overflows!"  This is the promise of God for His people; not just every once in awhile, but all the days of our lives and out into eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment