Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Psalm 81:10 NASB

I, the LORD, am your God... Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.

When our first grandchild, Lydia, was just old enough to be able to enjoy "adult" food, I was the first to introduce her to my favorite ice cream.  Nate and Anne were cautious parents, making sure Lydia ate only what babies should eat.  But this was the night that would change her life. We had gone out with her parents for a time of fellowship.  I was holding Lydia and I asked her mother if I could give her a taste of my favorite ice cream.  She obligingly said, "Oh Dad!  Okay, go ahead."  It was an amazing moment.  For the first time in her little life, Lydia would have the taste of her life.  Our text says, "Open your mouth wide and I will fill it".  The Hebrew conveys the idea of not just opening wide, but emphasizes it by saying "wide, real wide!"  All it took was one little taste and her mouth was wide open, real wide, for more.  Sheer enjoyment on our part.  There is nothing more delightful than to feed a baby who isn't screaming, closing its mouth and twisting away from something they don't want to eat, but have their mouth wide, wide open for more.  Though ice cream may not be the food you want to raise your children on, it's a delightful thing when your child responds to the food they need, with enjoyment instead of stubborn refusal.   In our text, you have this very picture.  God wants to give the best to His people, but all He's gotten is a closing of the mouth and twisting of the head away from His offer (vs.11-12).  You can feel the frustration of a parent who can't get their child to eat when the Psalmist quotes the heart of God, saying "Oh that my people would listen to Me, that Israel would walk in My ways!  ...I would feed you with the finest of the wheat; and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you," (13, 16).   God promises the best for His people and all He's looking for is the wide open mouth.  There is nothing that He likes more than to bless His people.  And like a mother that has worked hard over her families' favorite meal, there is nothing that delights Him more than to have His children enjoyng the food and fellowship.  Pull up around the table my friend and feast on His goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment