Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Genesis 17:1-2 NASB

"I am God Almighty; Walk before Me, and be blameless.  And I will establish My covenant between Me and you, and I will multiply you exceedingly." 

After struggling with the promise of God, that he and Sarai could ever have a child of their own, much less in their old age, and sometimes trying to manipulate and manhandle the work of God, Abram's faith is stripped of everything but God.  He would learn that the promises of God must carry the clear ring of "It's the Lord!" alone, and that anything else will always prove dangerous to the ways and wonders of God.  And so the LORD appears again to Abram, who is now ninety-nine years old, and says, "I am God Almighty; Walk before me, and be blameless (complete). And I will establish My covenant between Me and you, and I will multiply you exceedingly."  The promises of God cannot be claimed freely, randomly and carelessly.  Promises are not of our own making according to our own whims.  They are not made lightly, but are made by the Almighty God to His people according to His plans and purposes.  Yes! His promises carry the fullness of His power in them, but, like a box car linked to a train engine, they necessitate a clean and complete linkage to Him.  With this kind of linkage, all things are possible.  Take hold of this God!

No comments:

Post a Comment