Saturday, March 5, 2011

Genesis 24:7 and 27 NASB

"The LORD, the God of heaven, who took me from my father's house and from the land of my birth, and who spoke to me, and who swore to me, saying, 'To your descendants I will give this land', He will send His angel before you, and you will take a wife for my son from there," (24:7).  "[Upon finding that wife, Abraham's servant] bowed low and worshiped the LORD.  And he said, 'Blessed be the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken His lovingkindness and His truth toward my master; as for me, the LORD has guided me in the way..." (24:27).


Genesis 24:1 says, "Now Abraham was old, advanced in age; and the LORD had blessed Abraham in every way," but there was still one thing on his mind before he died:  the need for a wife for Isaac.  In his culture, it was the father's place to find his son a wife, and Abraham was intent on the right choice.  With his eye still on the eternal, knowing God's hand was on Isaac for things far beyond the temporal, he aimed to hit the mark of God's plan.  He asked his long time and deeply trusted servant, Eliezer (I'm assuming this servant is the Eliezer of Genesis 15:2), to go back to the land they had come from, and to his Abraham's relatives, to find a wife for Isaac.  Can you imagine?  This would be the extreme blind date.  As Eliezer wondered about the odds of a woman's willingness to leave her land and family and go to someone she had never met, Abraham responds with a seasoned faith, saying, "The LORD, the God of heaven, who took me from my father's house and from the land of my birth, and who spoke to me, and who swore to me, saying, 'To your descendants I will give this land', He will send His angel before you, and you will take a wife for my son from there," (24:7).  God was the author of his life and God knows how to write a story. Filled with the things that make life a true adventure, with wonderful suspense and surprises, God's ways have often caused some to look for easier reading. But, like his master, Abraham, Eliezer stayed with the story. And, like Abraham said, "The LORD, the God of heaven...He will..."  And He always does!  Eliezer, seeing God's hand in this story, and upon his incredible encounter with Rebekah, Isaac's future wife, "bowed low and worshiped the LORD.  And he said, 'Blessed be the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken His lovingkindness and His truth toward my master; as for me, the LORD has guided me in the way..." (24:27).  The NKJV says, "As for me, being on the way, the LORD led me..."  What a wonderful promise and truth for anyone intent on knowing and doing the will of God.  Just "be on the way", or, if you will, stay with the story. Let God be the author of your life.  This, of course, means we have to first settle the issue of His authority in our life.  Settle it!  Settle it!  Some sad stories come out of unsurrendered lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment