Sunday, June 5, 2011

Psalm 11:1-2; 59:16-17 NASB

"In the LORD I take refuge; How can you say to my soul, 'flee as a bird to your mountain'; For, behold, the wicked bend the bow, they make ready their arrow upon the string, to shoot in darkness at the upright in heart.  If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do? ...As for me, I shall sing of Your strength; Yes, I shall joyfully sing of our lovingkindness in the morning, for You have been my stronghold, and a refuge in the day of my distress.  O my strength, I will sing praises to You; for God is my stronghold, the God who shows me lovingkindness.

David's world was turned upside down when he killed Goliath.  Building character, confidence and courage through the demands and dangers of caring for sheep in the wild hills of Judea, this obscure, young shepherd boy was suddenly thrown into the limelight and everything began to move at rapid speed.  His incredible feats of war became legendary.  His growing fame went through the roof.  His best friend was the king's son.  But his greatest foe became the king himself.  Jealousy had taken root in king Saul's heart, growing like a cancer that would destroy anything in its way, and David, as far as Saul was concerned, was in his way.  His jealousy, as it will do if not checked, exploded into insane anger, hatred, and murder, sending David on the run for his life.  Many of the "sweet" Psalms of David come from this desperate time, becoming probably the greatest source of comfort and strength to untold thousands down through time, across many lands and people of many languages.  The "sweetness" flowing out of the Psalms didn't happen overnight.  As a young shepherd boy growing up in the hills of Judea, David had come to the precious knowledge of God; a relationship that became grounded in deep faith and constant fellowship, ever growing in likeness and intimacy.  So now, under the pressure of this new, different, strange and present danger, it only brought out what was already in his heart.  He knew His God and he spoke to Him with the straightforwardness, honesty, regard and reverence of one who had been often and long in His presence.  These were not those who greeted one another with the common and cordial words of strangers occasionally passing each other along the way.  No, these were deep friends who walked together along the way. They knew each other well and spoke to each other with the frankness, feelings and love that develops between two people who trust their lives and words to one another without fear of misunderstanding or betrayal.  God had given Himself to David as much as David had given himself to God.  So, in the darkness of his life, David knew he was not alone.  His constant Companion was immediately the One he took hold of as His source of strength, and he wouldn't let go.  Nor would God!  Thus David can say from the agony and depths of his heart, "In the LORD I take refuge... As for me, I shall sing of Your strength; Yes, I shall joyfully sing of our lovingkindness in the morning, for You have been my stronghold, and a refuge in the day of my distress.  O my strength, I will sing praises to You; for God is my stronghold, the God who shows me loveingkindness.  May the LORD bless your life with this kind of relationship.  Yes, He's there, actually looking and waiting for you.  Let Him be the rest of of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment