Friday, June 10, 2011

Psalm 56:3-4, 12-13 NASB

"When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You.  In God whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid.  What can mere man do to me? ...I will render thank offerings to You.  For You have delivered my soul from death, indeed my feet from stumbling, so that I may walk before God in the light of the living."

In this same light, David says, In Psalm 120:1, "In my trouble I cried to the LORD, and he answered me."  In Psalm 140:7 and 12, he says, "O God (Jehovah) the Lord, the strength of my salvation, You have covered my head in the day of battle... I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and justice for the poor.  And in Psalm 142:3 and 7, David writes, "When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, You knew my path... Bring my soul out of prison, so that I may give thanks to Your name; The righteous will surround me, for You will deal bountifully with me."  All of this comes at a time when nothing seemed to be coming together.  Saul was in pursuit of his life and David feels the pain and loneliness.  But through the darkness of the days, he keeps reaching up to the God he knows has not forsaken him and he finds hope.  These were not just hopeful words he struggled to articulate.  These were inspired words, moving on his heart by God's Spirit; words that are as strong and alive today as they were then.  This rope will hold! 

No comments:

Post a Comment