Friday, June 24, 2011

Psalm 43:5 NASB

Why are you in despair, O my soul?  And why are you disturbed within me?  Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him, the help of my countenance, and my God.

The spirit of man is affected by many things.  Life's ups and downs are as certain as the waves of the sea, often whipped up more severely by stronger winds.  I have watched some of God's people bear more than their share of these incessant winds.  One of the great wonders of the world is to watch many humble, faithful believers bravely face into these merciless storms, bearing up under the strain.  I have marveled over the years at this scene; watching this kind of people demonstrate an incredible faith as they were tossed about.  They are, as Amy Carmichael said, "the Lord's diehards, to whom can be committed any kind of trial of endurance, and who can be counted upon to stand firm whatever happens."  They, like the Psalmist, with a grace some have never plumbed, declare to themselves, "Why are you in despair, O my soul?  And why are you disturbed within me?  Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God."  They aren't super human, or somehow different than any of us.  They feel despair.  They know what it is to have the soul shaken, but they know in whom they have believed and wouldn't deny Him for anything. None can do this except by God's grace.  Like the Psalmist, it's worth having a conversation with your soul about this. 

What's that?  Oh, don't worry, this kind of talking to yourself is the healthiest thing you'll ever do.

No comments:

Post a Comment