Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Psalm 18 (excerpts) NASB

(2) The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold... (6) In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God for help; He heard my voice... (16) He sent from on high, He took me; He drew me out of many waters... (18) The LORD was my stay.  (19) God brought me forth also into a broad place; He rescued me, because He delighted in me... (28) You light my lamp; the LORD my God illumines my darkness.  (29) For by You I can run upon a troop; and by my God I can leap over a wall.  (30) As for God, His way is blameless; the word of the LORD is tried; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.  (31) For who is God, but the LORD?  And who is a rock, except our God, (32) the God who girds me with strength, and makes my way blameless?

The introduction to this Psalm says, "A Psalm of David the servant of the LORD, who spoke to the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul."  There is no greater day than the day after our trial is over, whatever that may be.  This is especially true if we have gone through a long ordeal that seems never ending.  With David, all of a sudden Saul is dead; wounded in battle and finally taking his own life.  It's over!  This meant that David no longer had to hide.  The sleepless nights were over!  God had kept him through it all, and now he looks back over those days with a deep sense of the presence of God.  His heart breaks forth in song; one of the most beautiful of the Psalms.  The darkness has become light!  For the believer, there is always the assurance that, no matter how dark the circumstances, the Light will banish the darkness:  (28) You light my lamp; the LORD my God illumines my darkness.  But David understood that God's presence and help isn't random.  In verse 19, David says "He rescued me, because He delighted in me."  Why would God delight in anyone?  David's response is clear:  (30) As for God, His way is blameless; the word of the LORD is tried; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.  (31) For who is God, but the LORD?  And who is a rock, except our God, (32) the God who girds me with strength, and makes my way blameless?  There's something very important about this that many have wanted to ignore, but it simply can't be ignored, and that is that holiness matters.  There is no doubt of this in David's mind.  He writes, "(20) The LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands He has recompensed me.  (21) For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God... (23) I was also blameless (margin of NASB, 'complete, or having integrity; or, perfect'), and I kept myself from my iniquity.  (24) Therefore the LORD has recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in His eyes."  This was the stark difference between David and Saul, and God knew it.  He still does! 

No comments:

Post a Comment