Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Psalm 3:4-6; 4:3, 8 NASB

I was crying to the LORD with my voice, and He answered me from His holy mountain.  Selah.  I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustains me.  I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people who have set themselves against me round about... But know that the LORD has set apart the godly man for Himself; The LORD hears when I call to Him... In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You alone, O LORD make me to dwell in safety.

Insomnia!  There are many causes for this dreaded condition, but the worst is when it's due to anxiety.  The mind can be like a car engine that won't shut off even after you've turned the key off and shut the doors.  It uses up fuel and saps energy. I have had sleepless nights because of something that lands on my mind and, like a pesky flie, no matter how much you swat at it, it just keeps buzzing around.  Sometimes the problems are huge, landing on us like boulders crashing down on us from high mountains.  There may be times for prescribed medication and counsel, which should be sought when needed.  But let's never forget the greatest source of help for things that come into our lives.  I believe there are some things that need more time in prayer.  I'm a great believer in the long walks alone with God, or finding a place where I can pour my soul out to Him in earnest prayer.  The one thing that God has promised to "the godly man" is His ear.  What an amazing thing!  Basically, God is saying, "take advantage of it!" This is the witness of the Psalmist, who said, "I was crying to the LORD with my voice, and He answered me from His holy mountain.  Selah.  I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustains me.  I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people who have set themselves against me round about... But know that the LORD has set apart the godly man for Himself; The LORD hears when I call to Him... In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You alone, O LORD make me to dwell in safety."  That sounds like the help we need for a good nights rest, by finding our rest in Him.  Sleep on it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey brother, I was google searching psalm 3:4-6 and came across this blog, and all the verses on it are the exact ones I have been chewing on the past couple days.

    All that to say, amen!

    ReplyDelete