Saturday, September 3, 2011

Psalm 69:33 and 70:5 NASB

For the LORD hears the needy, and does not despise His who are prisoners... But I am afflicted and needy; Hasten to me, O God!  You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay.

Scott Peck begins the first chapter of his book, The Road Less Traveled (p15), with the statement, "Life is difficult".  And everyone said... Amen!  This is the weight of Psalm 69 and 70.  David, the Psalmist, bears his soul to God, asking for His deliverance.  You feel the depths of his despair throughout, but listen to Psalm 69:1-3:  "Save me, O God for the waters have threatened my life.  I have sunk in deep mire, and there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and a flood overflows me.  I am weary with my crying; my throat is parched; my eyes fail while I wait for my God."   He feels the pressure both from within and without and he "begs" for divine intervention.  In the midst of his expressed affliction and pain, He speaks of the probabilities and possibilities of God, found in the word "may", and it is here he plants his flag, saying, "May Your salvation, O God, set me securely on high.  I will praise the name of God with song, and shall magnify Him with thanksgiving," (69:30-31).  For some, because of the darkness that envelopes you, and the prison that holds you, that would be a herculean task you can't even imagine.  But the hope isn't in our efforts.  The hope is in the One who reaches down into our darkness.  This is the hope the Psalmist pulls us toward, saying, "The humble have seen it and are glad; you who seek God, let your heart revive.  And here, the Psalmist waves the flag of God's grace, bringing hope even to the most needy soul, giving us a prayer to pray when we don't know how to pray.  Pray this with all your heart!  He will come!  Here it is:  "For the LORD hears the needy, and does not despise His who are prisoners... But I am afflicted and needy; hasten to me, O God!  You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay."  Just a few days ago, my mother was singing a song she remembered her parents singing as a duet, called "The Upper Window", and, as I listened to the simple, but powerful words, I asked for a copy for my own heart's file.  Here they are for you dear soul.

When God spoke unto Noah, and told him to build the ark,
The Lord knew well the vessel would cheerless be and dark,
Do God said, build a window, with outlook toward the sky,
That when it's dark and lonesome, you'll see Me standing by.

It may be that affliction will rack and rend your frame,
Until your mortal body is seared with fevered flame,
But do not be discouraged, just lift your tear-dimmed eye,
And through the upper window, you'll see Me standing by.

Perhaps you'll suffer losses, like houses, lands, and gold,
And you will feel you're homeless, and penniless, and old;
But sweetest peace and comfort will lift your painful sigh,
When through the upper window, you'll see Me standing by.

It may be that bereavement will take a loved one dear,
A soul that brought you gladness, real happiness and cheer;
But it will cheer your sad heart, when loved ones from you fly,
When through the upper window, you'll see Me standing by.

Refrain: 
The storms will come, but fear not, oh, children, I am night,
And through the upper window, you'll see Me standing by.

No comments:

Post a Comment