Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Psalm 55:16, 17-18, 22 NASB

As for me, I will call upon God, and the LORD will save me.  Evening and morning and at noon, I will complain and murmur, and He will hear my voice.  He will redeem my soul in peace from the battle which is against me... Cast your burden upon the LORD, and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.

As I write this, I find myself in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, working with a church team to build a home for someone who suffered great loss during the destructive earthquake that shook this city just a few years ago, killing thousands.  We drive by poverty and debris each day as we go to and back from our work site. We wonder what hope there is for these people.  Then we had one of those sureal moments.  As we waited for our ride back to the guest house, amidst our busy chatter, my wife Sarah said, "Everyone quiet!  Listen!"  As we quieted down, we could hear someone singing.  She was easy to see and hear because of her position on the hillside just across from us.  As she handwashed clotes, and with less than decent condtions all around her, she was singing, "What a day that will be when my Jesus I shall see..."  We sat there mesmerized by this scene and this sound.  In the midest of the poverty and devestation around her, and without her knowledge, this woman was proving and pronouncing something some Americans needed to hear, and that is that life has nothing to do with what you have, but it has everything to do with Who you have.  If we know this God, when our world is shaken, the Psalmist says, "He will never allow the righteous to be shaken."  Do you know Him this way?  Is there a song in your heart, and on your lips, that speaks of a peace and stability found only in the Eternal?  I pray so!

No comments:

Post a Comment