Thursday, November 3, 2011

Psalm 139:1-6 NASB

O LORD, You have searched me and known me.  You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar.  You scrutinize my path and my lying down, and are intimately acquainted with all my ways.  Even before there is a word on my tongue, behold, O LORD, You know it all.  You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid Your hand on me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is too high, I cannot attain to it.

Have you ever thought what it would be like if someone could actually read your mind, or be able to see you at any time?  Well, this is what the Psalmist is trying to grasp in Psalm 139.  He describes the omnipresence and omniscience of God in relation to his own life, in that God is everywhere and knows everything.  That can be terribly troublesome or wonderfully comforting, depending on which side you're coming from.  There should be nothing more terrifying than the knowledge that God would know my ways, when my ways aren't His ways.  But, on the other hand, there is nothing more wonderful, as we are walking in the ways of the LORD, than feeling the watchful eyes of Him who is "intimately acquainted with all my ways".  The beauty of this truth, with one who is walking with God, is that this ever present God is there to help us, not to haunt us.  He "boxes" us in, as it were, with His care--"You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid your hand on me."  I like this God.

No comments:

Post a Comment