Thursday, November 10, 2011

Psalm 139:23-24 NASB

Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.

The Psalmist begins this Psalm with "O LORD, You have searched me and known me," then ends it with "Search me, O God, and know my heart..."  Sandwiched between these two, the Psalmist speaks of God's Omnipresence and Omniscience.  In this light, of God being everywhere and knowing everything, King David is pressed with the powerful need to know what God knows about himself. Truly, nothing can be hidden from God, but we often hide ourselves from ourselves, and David feels the utter folly of this kind of hiding.  He recognizes it as "the hurtful way", or, literally, "the way of pain".  The most serious prayer anyone of us can ever pray is that God would expose anything in us that would finally bring great pain in our lives and others lives; that, at any cost, he would not let us get away with that which will finally destroy us.  And with this prayer is a second like unto it--"And lead me in the everlasting way."  May God help us to pray these with all our heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment