Friday, October 14, 2011

Psalm 57:1-3 NASB

Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious to me, for my soul takes refuge in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge, until destruction passes by.  I will cry to God Most High, to God who accomplishes all things for me.  He will send from heaven and save me; He reproaches him who tramples on me.  Selah.  God will send forth His lovingkindness and His truth.

The greatest conflict with God's will is self-will.  The mistake we make though, in seeking to align anyone with God, is to go after anything that has to do with self, almost to the point of seeking to destroy it.  But "self" isn't our problem.  Our problem is self-will that is set against God's will.  Self, in and of it's self, is who we are as a person.  Cleansed from the sin that keeps us from God, and dead to the self-will that stiff-arms God, self is worth everything to God.  Again, free from the poison that kills self, there is nothing wrong with self.  "I", "me", or "you" cannot and should not be taken out of our vocabulary.  This is the very essence of coming to God.  Give a lot of attention to it in the right way.  Listen to how many times the Psalmist uses the personal pronoun in our text.
  1. Be gracious to me, O God. (1a)
  2. Be gracious to me (1b)
  3. My soul takes refuge in You (1c)
  4. In the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge (1d)
  5. I will cry to God Most High (2a)
  6. To God who accomplishes all things for me (2b)
  7. He will send from heaven and save me (3a)
  8. He reproaches him who tramples on me (3b)
It almost sounds like it's all about "me".  Well, it is!  God is all about you and me.  The only way we can come to Him is to bring "me".  But note that the Psalmist's prayer is not "me" without God.  It's all about God!  That's it!  That's what God wants:  Me and God!  God and me!  Don't let anyone kill that!  Just point it in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment