Friday, October 7, 2011

Psalm 61:1-4 NASB

Hear my cry, O God; Give heed to my prayer.  From the end of the earth I call to You, when my heart is faint; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For You have been a refuge for me, a tower of strength against the enemy.  Let me dwell in Your tent forever; Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings.  Selah.

If one could ask any man or woman, who is staggering under the circumstances of life, overcome by unbearable sorrow, gripped by a crippling disease, or lying on their death bed, whether they felt like they were in control of their own lives, or the masters of their own destiny, we would think them insane if they said "Yes".  Even those who seem to have the world by the tail, for the moment, will ultimately be forced to concede their total lack of control.  This is what it means to be human in a fallen world.  And, whether Christian or non-christian, we are still human.  The only difference being, and it's a huge difference, that we, as Christians, believe in Someone outside of ourselves, Someone we know to intervene for us.  This isn't an escape mechanism from reality, but a sane understanding of our total dependency on Someone bigger than ourselves, and a sensible reaching up to this One who can and who cares.  So, gratefully, humbly, deeply, and confidently, we join with the Psalmist in praying, "Hear my cry, O God; Give heed to my prayer.  From the end of the earth I call to You, when my heart is faint; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For You have been a refuge for me, a tower of strength against the enemy.  Let me dwell in Your tent forever; Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings.  Selah."  This is not only a beautiful prayer; this is an amazing truth. May God bless this truth to your own heart and in your own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment